Labor Relations Generalist
Homebridge is a dynamic work environment with 400+ unionized field workers and 80+ internal office staff. We serve a high risk, high needs population often underserved in our community. We seek a driven, mature, and fair Labor Relations Generalist to join our staff of dedicated workers in support of the community we serve.
You have the opportunity to be the example of fair and equitable employment practices, providing space for employees to be heard while simultaneously keeping the overall interests of the organization in mind. Reporting to our Director of Human Resources you will serve as our primary contact for union investigatory and disciplinary meetings, and provide counsel to our internal office staff and Home Care Provider workforce. Additionally you will provide support and training to management with regards to all employee related interactions. Working in a true generalist capacity, you will both be the Labor Relations expert, and cross trained to serve as back-up to other Homebridge HR Generalists.
**BIlingualism in Spanish is highly desired!
Essential Job Functions
- Manage employee relations issues including conflict resolution, disciplinary actions, and performance improvement and exit strategies
- Build and maintain business relationships with all associated union representatives, and handle day to day interactions with them
- Initiate and conduct timely investigations and escalate recommendations for disciplinary action to Director of HR and associated supervisors
- Draft (with employee’s supervisor) Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) and formal disciplinary actions, ensuring cases are consistent and compliant with documentation to support proposed actions
- Conduct exit interviews, analyze data, and make recommendations to management for corrective action and continuous improvement
- Coach management on employee performance, policies and procedures, disciplinary actions, and terminations
- Produce monthly union report
- Review background checks against In-Home-Supportive-Services (IHSS) conviction regulations, provide formal communication to employees regarding next steps, following SF Fair Chance Ordinance regulations
- Uphold federal, state, and local human resources laws, and union policies and procedures
- Maintain compliant HR files
- Update and maintain Employee Handbooks
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 2-5 years HR Generalist experience required, 2+ years working with labor unions
- 2+ years experience conducting high volume employee grievances and investigations
- Strong knowledge of state and federal employment laws
- Excellent time management skills, able to maintain composure in a fast paced work environment, managing competing priorities for a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail - ability to consistently produce error free work
- Proven commitment to handling confidential information with discretion and sensitivity
- Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex situations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and ability to learn proprietary software with ease
- Bilingual in Spanish highly desired
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources or related field preferred
This position is primarily sedentary, working at a desk in a temperature controlled office, in a modular space or individual office. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time at a desk or computer workstation. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Labor Relations” as the subject. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Homebridge is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory, diverse work environment.